“The
Reflective Mom-titioner”
I
recently had the opportunity to take a long-overdue mini-vacation with my
husband. We stayed at a nice, well-known
four-star hotel. I was pleased to find
that the bathroom had a vanity mirror – one of those big, handheld 5X
magnification mirrors. I don’t own one
myself so having the opportunity to use it was a treat for me, as it would make
the process of make-up application easier.
My
happiness was quickly transformed to horror when I saw all of the blemishes and
imperfections the mirror had in store for me!
But rather than turn away from them, I took the time to make
corrections, clean and enhance what was there.
By the time I was done and flipped the mirror back over I was pleased at
the finished product.
As
moms we are constantly on the go, managing, transporting, scheduling,
nurturing, DOING. We seldom stop to take
time to reflect and take a good introspection of our actions, beliefs,
thoughts, etc. Doing so could be a bit
concerning, as your initial evidence may reveal parts of you that you either
didn’t know were there, or didn’t realize were as severe as they are.
But
don’t shy away from the process. I
invite you to jump in feet first and bask in the practice of
self-reflection. Only when we take a
closer look at ourselves will we see those things that need to be adjusted and
improved. Self-reflection that yields
self-improvement will bring about more harmony within your soul and among those
who surround you – your family, friends and colleagues (if applicable).
Distinguished
educators are characterized by their ability to be “reflective practitioners” –
ones who contemplate the practice and pedagogy of teaching. I invite you to be “reflective mom-titioners”
– those who take the time to stop and consider how and why we go about the
practice of “mothering.” I assure you
that when you do, you will see an image of yourself that is stronger, wiser and
more beautiful that you ever thought you were.

What is so depressing is that it was only during vacation that you were able to take the time you needed to be more self reflective. I think more often then not when moms and those that act in motherly roles decide to give time to themselves they are treated as if they are unfit or selfish. Yet it still holds true that if a plane is on its way down you should put on your face mask before your child's. Thanks for bringing up this topic because it is essential for societies social-emotional growth! Check out my piece titled,"Her Value". I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed your post. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks I certainly will!
DeleteThank you and I certainly will!
ReplyDelete