Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Right Place, Right Time

Day two of our hospital stay was quite eventful!  Tre' had a really great night save a few issues with his blood pressure.  Once he got his medication, he was good to go.  He slept most of the night until about 5:00 am, and then he called my name.  "Mommy," I heard him call in the midst of my sleep.  His voice crept in through the cracks of my subconscious, and I somehow realized where I was and what I was there for, in spite of not being fully awake.  I jumped up, "Yes Tre, I answered.  He just looked at me.  I'm not sure if he just wanted to make sure I was still there or if he changed his mind about what he originally wanted.  Either way, I wasn't ready to be fully engaged, especially after having to get up at 2:30 am the day before.  "Okay Tre, just let me know if you need me," I told him, then laid back down for about 45 more minutes.  Once the nurses and doctors started to do their rounds, it was a wrap.  It was time for my/our day to officially begin.

When the nurses come in and change shifts, I have determined it is my job to eavesdrop in on the conversation whenever possible.  Call me rude, but I want to ensure that accurate information is being communicated about my child. If not, I must correct those misconceptions.  For example, the night nurse told the incoming day nurse that Tre's "tremors" were a symptom of arthrogryposis.  She saw it and looked up the condition to determine what the cause was.  It would have been easier to just ask because he doesn't have "tremors."  I'm sure he was just cold.  It was a great reminder for me to never assume and to stay "Low on the ladder of inference."  Explicit data (like answers to questions) collected from the primary source is always more reliable.
Yummy apple juice

The doctors eventually made their way back and remarked about how well he did last night. The surgeon even commented that the PACU staff who prepared him for surgery fell in love with him because he was thanking them for taking care of him.  "He was thanking us, thanking the Lord ..." I hollered.  No doubt they were caught up in the midst of one of the daily sermons he puts on verbal repeat.  I chuckled.  They told us that we were definitively on track for transitioning to the medical floor for the remainder of the stay. Time to move him to clear liquids and foods today.


Physical therapists ready to work their magic

"Logrolling" is essential so that you don't twist the back and damage the sutures

And he's up!

Shortly afterward, the physical and occupational therapists came by for a session.  He rocked once again, demonstrating his reach and they were able to get him up to sit on the edge of the bed. We were careful to give him a dose of pain meds before the session so he could tolerate it well, which he did.  They were pleased and told us they would see us again this afternoon.

Not long after, there was a ruckus in the space next to ours.  The PICU room we were in was large and could accommodate up to three patients.  We had only one other roommate, a tiny three-month-old who was in for RSV, a common but very contagious virus that has severe effects on the respiratory systems of infants.  The nurse furtively asked for help from a staff member, and within moments 20 staff members were at the baby's bedside!  His mama wasn't there, having left the night before.  I was able to deduce that the baby was in distress and after the team gave him manual interventions through "bagging" him, they eventually had to intubate the little one.  I was frozen, having not only experiencing a child who had RSV but also having him intubated not one but four times as a small child.  My heart broke for him, and all I could do was pray.  I  posted about it on FB, and my entire village went into prayer for this baby.  Maybe this is why we were here, on this day, in this room, at this time.  Was I appointed to stand in the gap for the life of this baby?  His mom came about an hour after e was intubated and completely broke down in tears, wailing and sobbing through her pain.  I was compiled to get to her, comfort her, put my arms around her.  But with HIPPA laws being what they are, I didn't want to overstep my bounds or be too invasive.  I also knew that she did not speak any English, so I needed an interpreter.  When things got quiet, I stepped outside my curtain and greeted her.  It turns out that her husband did speak English - he was my interpreter!  I gave her the biggest hug I could muster without smothering her.  I explained that my son had been intubated 4 or 5 times AND had RSV and he is doing really well at 15 years old. I told her that her baby will be okay and that I am praying for him. They thanked me profusely. Her eyes still held a lot of pain, but I could see some relief.  ASSIGNMENT COMPLETED!  Shortly after that, we were told that it was time to move to our new room.  Well, what do you know?  Timing is everything!  


Moving on up, literally, in the elevator

New room on the 5th floor
Before moving to our new room, we had a great visit from one of my sweet STA mommy-friends who happened to be in the hospital today.  She helped us carry ALL OF OUR STUFF to the new room.  We got settled, and Tre' had another PT session where he not only stood up but took a few steps to use the bathroom as well!  He DEFINITELY looks taller too ( little brother's not going to like that lol).  He's currently sleeping like an angel, worn out from the day's excitement.  And now, instead of dreading the stay, I am looking at this as an assignment and looking forward to other opportunities to give to others who might be in need while we are here.  

Sleeping peacefully in our new room
Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment