Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Day Mama Bear Showed Up/Moving Day

Tre' on the move!
I knew it was going to happen.  It always does. Day three here at the hospital and Mama Bear showed up.  I didn't invite her but she's always there with me, standing over my shoulder, watching how policies and procedures are being followed and comparing them to the expectations.  Don't get me wrong, there is a reason that Children's National Medical Center is in the top five pediatric hospitals in the country. Technology, patient care, inpatient and outpatient services, medical staff - they are all top notch as far as I am concerned (and I have been "with" this hospital for 15 years as a parent). But in ANY organization one must always be vigilant and "be the voice" for yourself or your loved one to ensure appropriate care is implemented.  Without getting into detail, let's just say that a better understanding of my expectations is now held by all decisionmakers in Tre's case and I anticipate that the next two days of our stay shall go without incident. And Mama Bear didn't have to go into a full rampage, but she did bear her teeth and show her claws just a bit. 😏 

Today was unusually quiet.  Tre' slept most of the morning.  And when it was time to have physical therapy he was difficult to rouse and was almost like dead weight getting him out of the bed.  I was concerned.  I spoke with the anesthesiologist who saw him before surgery and was just as concerned as I was.  They decided to switch his muscle relaxer so he wouldn't be so groggy.

It apparently worked because when PT came this afternoon he was much more easily roused although he was still a bit groggy.  I offered to go to the van and get his wheelchair so we could possibly sit him up in it.  When I got back, to my surprise, the boy was up and taking steps with a walker! 



You'd better get it Tre'!  

He walked from one side of the bed to the other but that was a major step (literally!) He actually tried to walk out of the door! 😂 Typical - he's always trying to make a break once he gets some mobility.  No son, not yet.  Come back and have a seat.  We got him positioned in his chair nicely and he looked so tall and upright. 
Sitting up nice and straight

Visiting the fish

Smile Tre'! No? Okay.
We took him for a ride around the unit and visited the fished tank.  We were so excited.  He was over it.  So we returned to the room.  The physical therapist told me she wanted him to tolerate sitting in it for at least one hour.  He sat up for four hours! Such a rockstar! Towards the end he was falling asleep, I kept asking him if he wanted to get in the bed and he kept telling me no.  After a while, I insisted that he get in the bed.  He is now out like a light.

Today was a great day for visitors.  We held court with the always wonderful Catherine Larsen Coley, who was a PT resident when Tre was about three or four.  She is still here and gave me a lot of great options for post-hospitalization physical therapy.  She is one of a host of caregivers that we still consider to be a part of our extended family.  We also were visited by my godbrother Greg who not only brought his nephew Brian but a balloon for Tre'.  What he didn't know is that Tre' is a balloon connoisseur!  Actually, it's really just balloon string so we will see how long this one lasts!  Little Brian was delightful, a lean, thoughtful high school junior.  Once his Dad joined us we were able to compare notes about his stays up here at Children's as well. 

Although the morning started a little rough, it ended with a bang.  One more full day tomorrow and then - EMANCIPATION FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment